Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Beauty

Is what people repeatedly tell us true?

The answer is certainly, not always. But the reality is that what we repeatedly hear often starts to at least seem true. This week some random man on the street has told me I'm pretty every day this week (okay, so that's only been three days, but still a pattern I noticed today).

Honestly, attention like that mostly just makes me feel very uncomfortable (even when innocently given). It also makes me even less inclined to believe that what they are saying is true. Today the "beautiful lady" comment made me think of a scene from the movie The Kid.

Russ Duritz: Toshiya, let me ask you something. If you get called a jerk four times in a single day, does that make it true?
Amy: What, only four? Did you get up late?
Russ Duritz: Excuse me, I'm asking Toshiya.
Toshia: Four times is a pattern. It have to be five times to be a fact.
Russ Duritz: Thank you. See? There's hope after all.
Amy: Jerk.

Beauty, especially outward beauty is not something I feel I have. For the most part, I feel fine about that. What is inside is more important - and more lasting. I have felt this way for a long time. The other day I found this poem I wrote while in college along these lines:

I may not be gorgeous, but I can be beautiful.
Gorgeous is how you look
Beautiful is who you are.
It's not worth my time,
to try to change outside.
My time is better spent
grooming my insides.
A sincere smile,
A clear conscience,
A compassionate heart,
All things I can perfect.
Who I am inside
will affect others more deeply
than a flawless facade.

No comments: