Tuesday, March 13, 2018

What is the value of a life?

On a recent LONG international journey I watched a couple movies that dealt with making life and death choices.

One was Kidnap, about a mother who was pursuing her kidnapped son.

*Spoiler Alert!* She made choices that led to others (innocent and not so innocent) being hurt, and possibly dying, in an effort to save her son. Conversely, there was also a time when she risked her own life to save an innocent woman from being hit by a car. How do you choose who's life is more important?

This movie left me with lots of unsettled feelings and thoughts. To distract myself (and pass more time :) I decided to watch another movie: Dunkirk.

Throughout the movie, there were soldiers who would do just about anything to try to save themselves. Then there was a pilot who risked everything to increase the odds that other Allied soldiers would survive. In the end, he runs out of fuel, safely landing on the beach just to be captured by the enemy. He decided that his life was not more valuable than those he could potentially save.

All of this got me thinking about intentions. We don't know what is going on in people's hearts, but in general I find it to be helpful to assume people are doing the best they can with the resources and information they have.

It also made me think about my own intentions.

A conversation I had with my brother after he watched Star Wars: The Last Jedi in Germany also came to mind. He shared a moment in the film where someone's intentions focused on good when they could have been driven by hate or anger:

“I saved you dummy. That's how we're going to win. Not fighting what we hate; saving what we love.”

The same thing can be done with very different motives or intentions, and I find that my intentions have a huge impact on me before, during and after I do things. I hope to choose to save things and people I love (and pray I don't find myself in many situations where I have to make life and death decisions!!)

No comments: