Monday, July 15, 2019

Next Time I'll Lock the Door

You know those "memories" you only have because someone has told you the story so many times?

This is one of mine:

When I was about two years old I discovered I could make a staircase out of my dresser if I pulled all the drawers open different amounts. I pulled everything out of each drawer to make it easier to climb up to the top.

My dad was passing by my room and saw me - he was, rightly so, concerned for my safety. Empty dressers with all their drawers pulled out can easily tip onto a little girl and do some big damage.

"Don't do that - put the drawers back right now. I don't ever want to see you doing this again!" My dad scolded.

"Fine, next time I'll just lock the door first," my two-year-old self muttered as I flung clothes back into the drawers.

My dad loves telling this story, and often when he tells it to others they say something like, "Oh man, that's when you knew you were in trouble"

This week I've been reading from Acts as part of the Come Follow Me curriculum rolled out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this year.

Reading about Saul and his miraculous, nearly instantaneous transformation to Paul reminded me about the dresser staircase story and how my dad responded to my willfulness.

I'm grateful that instead of being worried (or at least not overly worried) about potential negative implications of this facet of my personality, my dad viewed it as a challenge. A chance for him to use his knowledge of my tendencies and his life experience to lovingly guide me.

My parents talk about my willfulness, independence and stubbornness often and how they hoped they could help me channel it toward good causes. I feel so often our skills and tendencies are like that - we can use them powerfully either for good or evil, it is our choice.

Another time I was studying about Saul/Paul someone shared their opinion that he did not actually change that much. His personality and approach were the same. He was still outspoken and fighting for a cause he believed in - the cause he was fighting for is what changed.

What a cool example and thought. When I learn that I am doing something wrong, I want to be more like Saul/Paul. I want to be able to pivot and put all of my energy in a new direction - a better direction.

Saul gave us a great example of how to do this: Pray to God and ask, "What wilt thou have me to do?" (Acts 9:6). Then once we have an answer, do it.

2 comments:

Claude Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claude Smith said...

I like the perspective,even though it is second hand of sorts. I have felt the same way about not only Paul but Alma the younger from the Book of Mormon as well.