Saturday, June 6, 2020

Speaks to My Soul: Drive by Ben Rector



I have often felt the feels of this song. But I feel them more now – after being confined mostly to the walls of my own home for more then two months.

Let's go
I don't care
Anywhere

And even the uncertainty of “what we’ll find” seems heightened in our current world

White lines flyin' by, who knows what we'll find
You and me tonight

The slow opening and a tentative return to “normal” that makes possible the very idea of “you and me” becoming a reality again is exciting.

When's the last time we dropped our things and went?
Woke up somewhere that we've both never been?

Too long.

That would generally be my response, but it is wholeheartedly my response right now.

But this line, it is rolling around in my brain:

Growin' up doesn't mean gettin' older

I want to do what I feel is the essence of this line: strive for the heart of a child. Maintain your wonder at the beautiful world around you. Make friends easily. Let go of hurts and build bridges back to people. Allow tears to wash away the pain and get back to living life fully. Hug those you love, hold their hand, say your love through actions (and words).

One more line jumps out – and stands in starker relief after the past couple months:

I just wanna come back with a memory

Even before quarantine and isolation, this was a sentiment that struck a chord. I’ve found that the more places I go and things I see, the truer this statement becomes for me.

Memories are what I want to carry with me. Pictures help me relive them. And even better is seeing and talking to the people I made those memories with again.

So, family, here I come – and let’s make some new memories and relive some old ones, whether we drive and wake up somewhere we’ve never been or just sit around mom and dad’s well-worn kitchen table.

P.S. Here’s a link to the song. Give it a listen. Better yet, go for a drive while listening :)

No comments: