Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stories

Each of us has a story. For the most part we know little, if anything about the stories of those around us. This can be very problematic. Unfortunately, it is usually not till after I learn more about someones story that I remember this fact. Initially I'm usually obliviously making assumptions that I feel awful about in retrospect.

For several years now, it has been my goal to try to remember my lack of knowledge sooner, and to seek to learn more about the stories of those around me. In the past few days I have been forcefully reminded that I need to make this a priority again. When I learn things that put behaviors of others into perspective, more often than not I am humbled and wish that I had known sooner. Sometimes all it takes is a willingness to ask, and to listen - truly listen.

To counter my lack of knowledge about other peoples stories there are a few things I try to keep in mind. First, that we are all human beings deserving of love and respect. Second, that everyone has bad days. Third, that most people have good intentions most of the time. If I live my life believing these things, I find that I am much happier and have a much more positive outlook on life in general and towards individuals that I come in contact with. This is a semi-public re-commitment to doing just that. I'm grateful for all who come across my path allowing me to learn and grow, and hopefully do a little better each time than the time before.

No comments: