Friday, September 26, 2008

Why I go to Church

Recently I was asked why I go to Church - to commune with God or for the social aspect. While both those things are important to me, neither of them adequately captures why I go to Church each week. I told my friend that I go to Church each week to renew covenants that I have made with my Heavenly Father.

The Book of Mormon talks about what we commit to do if we are baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We should be willing to be called the people of God, willing to bear one another's burdens, willing to mourn with those that mourn, willing to comfort those in need of comfort, and willing to stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places (see Mosiah 18: 8-9). When I think about that, I realize that really, both elements my friend asked me about are embedded in the reason I go to Church. I must have a relationship with God in order to be able to successfully be His witness, and to effectively meet the needs of those around me. In order to meet the needs of others, I must have a relationship with them. So, I guess I go to Church to commune with God and for the social aspects, in order to renew the covenants I have made.

No comments: