Friday, October 3, 2008

Do You Feel Restricted?

This is a question I have been asked more than once in relation to my religious beliefs.

The most recent iteration came as I was going to a review session for one of my classes. I walked in talking about sales tax on food. That is something that doesn't exist in Massachusetts, but does exist in Utah (or at least did, I know the law changed recently) One of the girls already at the review asked if I was from Utah, followed by "are you a Mormon?" quickly followed by "Oh, I'm sorry!" just as the review started.

Afterward she again apologized for her question, which I assured her was completely fine. She sought to further reassure me by saying she had other Mormon friends. Then she asked if I had to marry a Mormon. I told her no, but I am going to. Her next question was "Don't you think that is rather restrictive?" No, actually I don't. I think that it is very enabling. The gospel of Jesus Christ as presented in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of the most important things in my life - along with my relationships with my family who I love so much! Since this is so incredibly important to me, it is something I want to share with the person I intend to spend the rest of forever with.

In many ways this question, particularly related to marriage, makes me smile. We all have things we are looking for in our future spouse. If you have a particular political leaning, you will most likely seek someone who has similar beliefs. So it is with me. And when I get discouraged I remind myself that I want to be happy in the long run, not just now, so I'll wait and keep looking.

No comments: