Friday, October 31, 2008

Ripples

Recently I went with a few friends up to Acadia National Park in Maine. While there we climbed Mt. Champlain. The views of the Bar Harbor area were breath taking. As I sat pondering and taking in the sights, I noticed these boats which were fishing. I was way at the top of a mountain and could see ripples coming from the boats (without my glasses on I might add). I remembered talking about the ripple effects people can have in a service seminar I went to once. Often we have no idea who the things we do will influence or how our actions now may reach someone in the future. But, our actions do have this outward motion and do eventually touch others. I have a huge desire to be like those boats - creating waves, reaching out to others. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever know. Those ripples traveled a long distance from the boats, eventually reaching the shore or colliding with other sets of ripples. Do I have the strength and diligence to keep sending out my ripples even if I don't see the positive effects. I sure hope so!

1 comment:

American Yak said...

I think this sentiment is more than true. I think not just our actions, but our thoughts have this effect. Not to sound too out there, but kind of like "The Force," I really think energy and spirit binds us together -- or separates us and destroys us. Not in an abstract, ethereal sense, but literally. I think it's why it's growing more and more important in these last days to surround ourselves with good things.

This has been my quest in life, but I think I forget it all the time.

Thanks for reminding me.