Thursday, February 12, 2009

Letting the Light In

I was sitting on my bed with my back to my window wrapped in a blanket reading my scriptures this morning. After reading for a couple minutes I realized that I was having trouble seeing the pages and had to strain my eyes to read the words. A slight movement allowed some light that was streaming through my window, but blocked by my body, to fall on the pages. I realized I was unnecessarily making things difficult for myself. There was no reason my back needed to be to the window, so I moved and allowed the light to fall unobstructed on my scriptures making it easier for me to read.

It dawned on me that there are probably many times in my life that I figuratively do this. I know the light is right there behind me, but I don't make the effort to allow it to guide me and make my life easier. The Savior Jesus Christ told us "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). He also said basically the same thing in a slightly different way: "I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness." (John 12:46). I know that learning of the Savior and trying to be more like him has blessed my life in countless ways. I hope I can continue to come unto the light of the world and be able to share the light, truth, knowledge and joy that it brings into my life with those around me.

No comments: