Sunday, February 1, 2009

Choose to Be Happy

I was recently given some great council from my father. He told me to choose to be happy; to continue with my my cheerful attitude and behaviors.

Happiness is something I value and strive for. I try to always have a smile on my face and to remember that I have so much to be grateful for - even when things do not seem to be going my way. One of the movies that I love is Pollyanna. It tells the story of a young girl who recently lost her father who was a minister. He had taught her to play "the glad game" where one seeks to find the good in a situation, no matter how dire it appears. Quoting her father she says "with 826 "happy texts" in the Bible, God must have wanted people to be happy"

I agree, God must want us to be happy. I did a quick search for the phrase "be of good cheer" and found 13 results in the scriptures. I love that command - be of good cheer. I try to do that. I believe that for the most part, we find what we are looking for. So, I choose to look for the good. I choose to be happy. I choose to smile, to laugh.

In the words of Martina McBride:

Oh watch me go
I'm a happy girl
And I've come to know
That the world won't change
Just 'cause I complain
Let the axis twirl
I'm a happy girl

Happy Girl by Martina McBride

1 comment:

Claire said...

I love seeing you happy all the time, it raises my spirits quite often! I don't know how have enough energy to be happy as often as you are, it is great to see how expending the energy to be happy all the time is worth it in the long run. Everyone experiences happiness at some point of their life. Choosing to make it a consistent thing is the challenge of life. You are extremely consistent!