Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Nickel

Today as I walked to the T from my dentist appointment a guy held out his worn looking cup and asked if I had any change to spare. I rarely carry cash or change with me. Today was one of those days. So, I said "I'm sorry, I don't" with sadness in my eyes and a pang of sorrow in my heart.

I had not gotten more than a few steps away when I realized I did have some change with me - a nickel. I found that nickel on the stairs of my campus a few days ago, had picked it up and put in my coat pocket. As soon as a realized that, I turned around digging the nickel out of my pocket as I walked, and dropping it into the empty cup said "Actually, I have a nickel."

Turning back towards the T once again, I said a little prayer in my heart. I asked God to bless those who have so little that maybe their hope and faith that things will get better might increase, and that those like me who have more will be willing and able to share what we do have.

A nickel is not a lot. By itself it will not do much for that man, and in some ways, it may even have seemed insulting. But it was all I had with me (besides a cough drop and tissues, which I suppose he might have been able to use). When I got to the T I saw another nickel on the ground. Again, I know a nickel is not much, but I picked this one up too and put it in my pocket again. For me, it stood as a small and simple reminder that someone is watching and knows what we do. He appreciates the small acts of kindness we do. He was reminding me personally that what I have is not mine, and I will be blessed as I seek ways to reach out in love to those around me.

Some may say it was just two nickels and a coincidence, but it taught me a great lesson and is helping me set patterns of giving and being aware of the needs of those around me.

No comments: