Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's the Little Things

My whole life little things have been very important to me. It was always little things that made me happy - and mad for that matter. My brothers and my parents can testify to that I'm sure :) There are pros and cons to this outlook on life. When I was going to school in Virginia, one of my roommates loved to give me a hard time about how happy little things would make me. She told me one day that she was going to make a list of little things that made me happy to give to my husband someday. They included things like vanilla scented trash bags, swinging at the park, hearing a song I like on the radio, having someone smile or say hello to me . . . I just laughed and told her I'd rather be happy with little things and be happy a lot than to wait for big things to make me happy and spend a lot of time waiting.

There is a scripture that always comes to mind when I think about the power of little things. It is in The Book of Mormon in Alma 37:6 and says: "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." I have always loved that! I like to think about the difference I could potentially make through the little actions I take. And I like to acknowledge the little things that have made a great difference for me.

Recently I had some wonderful experiences that reminded me of this great truth, and I want to give a shout out to little things. Things like offering to help with the dishes - and not just offering, but doing them. Taking time to listen - really listen and remember what someone says. Respecting the feelings and concerns people have, but being willing to gently nudge them towards something wonderful. Being sincere. Recognizing good in those around you - and pointing it out to them. Playing Legos with little boys. Finding adventures in everyday events. Taking time to look past yourself and notice the needs and feelings of others. Asking others to help you learn a new skill. Following through with a promise made. Sharing stories - listening and telling. Giving hugs hello - and goodbye :)

There are so many wonderful little things in life. And, there are also a great deal of little negative things in life - things that can weigh us down, and make us forget what we really want and how to be truly happy. I'm grateful for the great things that come from small things and for the times in my life that I do allow little things to make a positive and not a negative impact on me. I'm reminded of a quote that my brother recently sent me in an email: "Sometimes we need to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy." I think that is what being happy over little things can do for us - allow us to pause in our pursuit of happiness to just be happy.

No comments: