Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's Not Just What You Say

In one of my classes this week we were talking about the ethical nature of the choices we make and the way we interact with others. My professor was pushing us to define honesty and think about when it is necessary. Does it mean simply not making statements that are false? Can you say nothing and be dishonest? Is it sometimes okay to be dishonest?

These are questions that sometimes, or even often, seem to have blurry lines - or to be more gray than black and white. My professor told us the rule of thumb that he likes to use: If you do something with the intent to mislead it is unethical, even if to do so would put you at a strategic advantage.

Personally, I like my professors rule of thumb. It is not just what you say, or fail to say, it is also the intent behind your words. I think it takes courage to be honest and to not let someone keep believing something that is not true even if revealing the truth may seem strategically unadvantageous.

In the long run, honesty and fair-play are strategically wise strategies to use. It is important to remember also that things that may not technically be unethical may ultimately undermine trust. Life is full of ongoing relationships and interactions. It is always wise to work to build and improve relationships and to address concerns as they arise. The peace of mind and conscience that comes from being honest is more important to me than any perceived gains of acting in an unethical manner.

2 comments:

Kati said...

I just got caught up reading all your "recent" posts - you are an amazing woman, Nicole. Thanks for taking the time to write down you thoughts and share them with others - you made my night!

the skiz said...

I love this post! You always have such profound things to say.

So I remember watching all of those Law shows with my mom when I was in high school, and at first I thought it was ridiculous that they made you commit to an oath to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." With my illogical immature mind I thought, the truth is the truth!

But as I continued to ponder, I realized, hmmm... maybe there's a purpose to this phrase. And that's when I realized, yes, the truth is the truth. But "the whole truth" means you tell every part of the truth (not leaving out integral parts that mislead others to think otherwise). And "nothing but the truth" means you don't add little partial truths that have mostly truth but a little exaggeration or otherwise misleading verbage.

I really like your professor's rule of thumb, too, though I agree that ethics probably should not entirely dictate what is truth. What is unethical to one may not even cause another to think twice. I mostly like the "misleading" clause. Thanks for a reminder to maintain pure honesty!