Thursday, March 26, 2009

Biggest Lie

So, I have had a lot of feelings of stress, pressure, and being overwhelmed lately. I say this not to draw attention to me, or to elicit sympathy. Instead, it is to express gratitude. Today I got an email from a good friend with a link to a youtube video called "Are you going to finish strong?" It is one of the many, many youtube video's about Nick Vujicic - who is a young man who grew up with no arms and legs. He travels and talks to people about overcoming challenges and recognizing on whom we rely for strength. It gave me a wonderful perspective and helped me in my moment of need.

After I got this email, I watched the video and for the next half hour or so watched related videos. In another video, Nick told a world religious leader (sorry, I don't know who he was, or where he was from) that we can not, and should not compare suffering. We should all work together as God's family to help each other through the struggles that we face and to put our own suffering in perspective. Nick said the following: "The greatest lie that we are believing today is that you need to do this life alone. That’s a lie. God is a personal God, you can talk to Him, you can pray with Him. It’s not about just coming to Church on Sunday’s and doing the status quo. Talk to Him; share your heart with him. Lord, here I am please help me. I’m here today to tell you this, that no matter who you are no matter what you are going through, God knows it, He is with you, He is going to pull you through."

As I listened to and watched these videos I realized that Nick and his message serves as a good reminder that life is what we make of it, and we can choose our reactions to our circumstances - even, or maybe especially, those circumstances that we can not change.

Today I was especially grateful for the reminder that it is a lie that we too often believe that "you need to do this life alone." So, I'll keep praying to God, telling Him my hopes and dreams, my fears and concerns. I will continue to ask for help and seek to remember that I can do all things with His help (which includes the help of those I have been blessed to have play a part in my life).

3 comments:

Amy said...

I guess it is time to come out of stalker mode, and let you know that I love your blog. I found it through my friend Alicia, and you really help me keep things in perspective. Thank you for your wonderful posts and the spirit and scincerity you help me find. I get excited when I see you have posted, and can't wait to be taught or edified. Thank you so much.

Justin and Carissa said...

It is so true what you said at the end about how the Lord will help us through those we have around us. Today we talked about being a light to the world and saviors of men, and how if we do not do that we are like salt that has lost its savor. It is so important that we help those around us and are not afraid to ask for help ourselves. The Lord does not want us to be miserable, he wants us to succeed and find joy!

Nicole Smith said...

Amy - I'm glad to know I have a reader :) Sometimes I'm sure that posting is not really for anyone but me and helping me process what I've learned or experienced. Thanks for reading, and for your nice comment. Good thing Alicia connected us!

And Carissa thanks for your comments too! I love that life provides us with opportunities to learn to both serve and be served. Both can be hard, but both help us so much.