Saturday, July 4, 2009

America

Seeing as today is the 4th of July, I think this is a wonderfully appropriate time to get around to this post that has been brewing for quite some time.

First, I want to share four quotes about America that I have come across in the past nine months or so that capture some of my thoughts and feelings:

"It will do us not good to be naive about the challenges we face in this country. We do have problems, and they are not a few. There are issues that demand our earnest, inspired attention. But there is too much fruitless carping and criticism of America. What might become of this land if we spoke less of its weaknesses and more if its goodness and strength, its capacity and potential?"

- Gordon B. Hinckley, Standing for Something

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."

- President Bill Clinton, first inaugural address January 20th, 1993

"In reaffirming the greatness of out nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted - for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things - some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom."

- President Barack Obama, inaugural address January 20th, 2009

"Now we might not always get it right But there's nowhere else I rather build my life"

- Rodney Atkins "It's America"

I love living in America. I don't think that means I would not like living in another place. I have lived in several places including the West, the South, and New England. The places and the people in each have been wonderful. Each has pros and cons. That is true of any place in the world. Personally, I side with Gordon B. Hinckley and think that while we must be aware of the challenges we face (be it as Americans or more simply as human beings wherever we find ourselves) we must also focus on goodness, strength, capacity and potential. And Rodney Atkins is right - America/Americans don't always get things right. But, as President Obama said, there are many wonderful unsung hero's who work hard to carry us towards greatness.

In some of my graduate classes we would talk about some of the things going on in other countries related to policy affecting children, the environment, education and other things. There were often comments about how much better some policy about bike travel was in Sweden than in America. Or how the Finnish education system is so superior to our K-12 education. I have friends from Finland, and I asked them about their experience. As I listened to my classmates and my friends I realized that often the best of another country was being compared with the worst in America. That seems to be an unfair comparison to me. Again, I emphasize that I think there is much room for improvement, and collectively Americans should work to make live better for all of us who live here. But, I also submit that if we look for it, we can find, build on and expand the goodness in this great land.

I am proud to be an American. I am grateful for the chances that we collectively have. I hope to be on of the risk-takers, makers and doers that, as President Obama said, is not afraid to work or faint-hearted. My sincere desire is that I personally, and Americans generally, strive more to use what is right with America to cure what is wrong with America.

God Bless America

2 comments:

Chantalita said...

Well said. Great points. Great quotes.

My experience is often the opposite of yours. I often get exposed to the very worst of other countries (generally when working on asylum cases - looking at government and societal corruption and abuse) and it leaves me feeling so very humbled by how good people generally are here. But in those cases, I am comparing the worst of other countries to the best here. Regardless of the point of comparison, it doesn't change the fact that we have a lot of good here, and I am grateful for it.

Jenn Knight said...

Ooo... I love these quotes, especially the one by Pres. Obama. If nothing else, he certainly gives great speeches! :) Loved your thoughts, too. I agree, as usual.