Sunday, July 31, 2011

A few thoughts . . .

I was flipping through a notebook that I use to write insights in while I'm reading my scriptures on public transit. As I read the passage below, I realized I really needed to remember that lesson or thought that I had, so I decided to share it . . .
Dwelling only on how far we've got to go and what we've done wrong while ignoring what we have done right and improvements we have made is like focusing only on what we don't have and not being grateful for what we do have.
Man, sometimes I am surprised by things that I have thought and recorded. But boy am I glad that I do think them, and do record them!

I'm also reminded of some words from Elder Neil A Maxwell:
"The first thing to be said of this feeling of inadequacy is that it is normal. There is no way the Church can honestly describe where we must yet go and what we must yet do without creating a sense of immense distance. Following celestial road signs while in telestial traffic jams is not easy, especially when we are not just moving next door—or even across town.

In a Kingdom where perfection is an eventual expectation, each other’s needs for improvement have a way of being noticed."
So, I will feel inadequate sometime (or even often). Others will be aware of my flaws, and I definitely will be painfully aware of them. However, if I keep my focus on where I want to go, acknowledge the progress I've made and remind myself that with Christ I can get there, I know I'll be okay.

Elder Maxwell put this far better than I can:
"Yes, brothers and sisters, this is a gospel of grand expectations, but God’s grace is sufficient for each of us. Discouragement is not the absence of adequacy but the absence of courage . . ."

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love Neil A. Maxwell! Thanks for the inspiration. I've often felt overwhelmed when comparing where I want to be with where I am. A little forgiving (and yet motivational!) encouragement it always welcome.