Thursday, August 4, 2011

I'm listening to what?

So I love, love, love music. I have a pretty eclectic taste in songs/artists. I'm particularly a sucker for lyrics I can relate to or that speak truth to my soul.

The other day I was listening to the radio and suddenly really heard some lyrics and had to pause to ask myself what I was actually listening to:
Tonight I will love love you tonight
Give me everything tonight
For all we know we might not get tomorrow

"Give Me Everything" by Pitbull, Ne-Yo, Nayer and Afrojack
Seriously? It hit me that this song perpetuates an "eat, drink and be merry" philosophy. A philosophy that really I can not support.

The Book of Mormon talks about this very mindset:
7 Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us.

8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

2 Nephi 28: 7-8

The thing is, it's true - we might not get tomorrow. However, it doesn't follow then that we can or should use that to justify doing anything, especially something we know is not appropriate or in the best interest of ourselves and those around us.

Jesus Christ taught about this in a parable about a rich man:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

Luke 12: 17-21

I know that death is not the end. I know that God loves His children and wants them to make good, righteous choices so they can live with Him again after this life. I want to be more aware of when I am choosing to surround myself in an "eat, drink and be merry" atmosphere so I can fight it and make wiser choices.

No comments: