Sunday, January 8, 2012

Storm Cloud or Silver Lining?

If there is one thing that is constant about life, it is change. I know this. That doesn't mean I always like it.

Over the past couple weeks I've been thinking about change and over the past couple of days everything I hear or read or sing seems to relate to my thoughts and feelings. Specifically I have been reminded of the role of my choices - particularly the role of how I choose to perceive things.

Lyrics from two songs:

"Even perfect days can end in rain."

"Roses and thorns grow together
Even rainbows follow bad weather."

Quote from Remember the Titans:
"Sometimes life is just hard for no reason at all."

My experiences have taught me that almost anything can be seen as a stumbling block or a stepping stone. We can choose to look at thorns or roses, we can focus on the rain or be grateful for the possibility of a rainbow when it stops; we can see a grey storm cloud or hunt for the silver lining.

"Anywhere is paradise; it's up to you." -Anonymous

As I have prayed and pondered, seeking peace in quiet moments has become very important to me. A repeated line from one of my favorite hymns kept coming to mind: "Be still, my soul." Well, today we sang it in Church. There are a few lines here and there from the song that really pull all of this together and express my faith in the future and God ability to help me thorough anything:

"Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to they God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
...
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
...
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last."

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yes! I don't really have anything to say besides, "I agree!" And I absolutely love that hymn!