Friday, February 10, 2012

Whether it's a bookmark or a quarter, God cares

I can't go to bed without sharing this one.

A few days ago I got a package in the mail from my family that included a magnetic bookmark my brother brought home for me from Russia. I LOVED it the moment I saw it. I was so excited that I started using it immediately.

Tonight as I was getting on the elevator I went to move the bookmark from towards the end of the book back to mark my place. It was gone.

I wanted to cry (in fact, my eyes did tear up a bit . . .) and I had to call my brother, who I hadn't even had a chance to thank for the gift to let him know that while I really appreciated what he sent me, I no longer had it in my possession. I was crushed.

My brother was so, so nice about it. He told me he was sad for me, but that it was alright. He even had another one that was not so perfect for me, but that he could send me as a replacement. I asked him to tell me the English translation of the Russian words on the bookmark.

The literal translation: You are expensive in God's eyes. Or, in a little less literal terms, You are very valuable in the eyes of God.

I said a little prayer in my heart that went something like this: God, I know this is not a big deal, but if it's not a big deal for me to find it, can that happen? I'd really like it and it means so much that this is what my brother picked for me personally.

My assumption was that the bookmark fell out on the train. And I told myself I'd re-trace my steps in the morning and see if I could find it (I'm going back to the same place in the morning anyway.) As I thought about it, I realized that if there was any chance of finding it, the sooner I looked the better the chances were. Despite being dressed for bed, I decided to put shoes and my coat back on and at least go see if it had dropped between the train platform and my door. It had! I found it right by the turnstile I exited through earlier this evening.

This time I really teared up. I felt the truth of the words of J. Devn Cornish in a talk titled The Privilege of Prayer:

"In His mercy, the God of heaven, the Creator and Ruler of all things everywhere, had heard a prayer about a very minor thing. One might well ask why He would concern Himself with something so small. I am led to believe that our Heavenly Father loves us so much that the things that are important to us become important to Him, just because He loves us."

Here is his story that helped teach him that same lesson:
When I was a young resident physician at Boston Children’s Hospital, I worked long hours and traveled between the hospital and our home in Watertown, Massachusetts, mostly by bicycle since my wife and young family needed our car. One evening I was riding home after a long period in the hospital, feeling tired and hungry and at least a bit discouraged. I knew I needed to give my wife and four small children not only my time and energy when I got home but also a cheery attitude. I was, frankly, finding it hard to just keep pedaling.

My route would take me past a fried chicken shop, and I felt like I would be a lot less hungry and tired if I could pause for a piece of chicken on my way home. I knew they were running a sale on thighs or drumsticks for 29 cents each, but when I checked my wallet, all I had was one nickel. As I rode along, I told the Lord my situation and asked if, in His mercy, He could let me find a quarter on the side of the road. I told Him that I didn’t need this as a sign but that I would be really grateful if He felt to grant me this kind blessing.

I began watching the ground more intently but saw nothing. Trying to maintain a faith-filled but submissive attitude as I rode, I approached the store. Then, almost exactly across the street from the chicken place, I saw a quarter on the ground. With gratitude and relief, I picked it up, bought the chicken, savored every morsel, and rode happily home.

For me, that very minor thing was a bookmark, for J. Devn Cornish it was a quarter. Either way, I do know that God hears prayers, even about seemingly little things. I know that He wants us to be happy, and since little things can tip the scales one way or the other, it is no surprise to me that little things are important to Him. For that I am very, very grateful.

2 comments:

Savanna said...

Nicole! Thanks for sharing this... I have mused not a few times lately over whether God cares about the little things, not wondering whether he could, but whether he would, and why. (Not sure if that distinction makes any sense.)

Mallori said...

This is great. It reminds me to cherish the small things in life because life is made of small things that only seem big when we feel we have to do it alone. I am glad you got up and went to look for your bookmark because I doubt it would have been there had you waited longer.