Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Strengthened to Abound?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

This has been a very familiar scripture to me. When I was in college I worked in our Financial Aid Department and they had a little book of quotes/ scriptures that I read sometimes when things were slow. This verse is one I actually have memorized. I find it to be very powerful. Sometimes I believe it more fully than others and act on it more or less successfully at various points in my life. However, I have never known it in context till now.

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound; every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:11-13

In my mind verse 13 had always meant "I can do hard things" or "Christ will make difficult things easier for me as I rely on him."

I think that is still true. Now I also think there is much more to this verse. Christ can help us be content with ANY circumstances. I do not believe that means he wants us to settle for mediocre. Nor do I think that means we are not expected to work hard or push through incredibly difficult things to come out stronger on the other side. I do think these verses are teaching us that Christ can help us navigate life successfully - no matter what is currently being placed before us, or what is placed in front of us in the future.

Along this vein - some people really want a lot of money. I never have. I have always said money is a curse I don't want to deal with and a burden I don't want to hand down to my children. I do want enough money to live comfortably, and to be able to have some wonderful experiences, but I just have never wanted to have so much money it can be taken for granted and a high standard of living is expected. But Paul just taught me "I know how to abound" and "I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry." So, through Christ, I could successfully navigate both remaining humble while having a lot and not becoming bitter if I do not.

I like verse 13 even more now that I have some added context and deeper understanding about it. I hope to more fully rely on Christ in all things and allow him to instruct and strengthen me.

No comments: