Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Why Read?

I LOVE to read. And I've been able to do a lot more of it in the past couple weeks than I have in a long time. So much so that I was almost tired of reading. Gasp, I can't believe I just typed that, or that I ever thought it!

As I was putting down the book I was reading on the bus home for a little break, I got to thinking about why I like to read, here is what I came up with:

- To slow down
- To escape
- To learn
- To grow
- To discover
- To experience
- For fun
- To pass the time
- To feel
- Because I love it
- To learn how others think/ feel
- To become someone else
- To visit a new place/ time
- To forget
- To remember

I'm sure there are many more reasons and I know there are different reasons I read different types of books. I also realized that taking a break to think and process what was read and how it relates to life and other things I've read is just as enjoyable as reading itself ...

Now I want to know, why do you read?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I could say ditto to all of your reasons. I've especially grown to appreciate reading non fiction books since finishing school because I miss learning.

Random note on reading: My book club read Fahrenheit 451 this month. One of the girls said that she didn't like it very much because she only likes reading for entertainment, and if a book isn't entertaining she can't get through it. I think its so funny she would say this about Fahrenheit 451 because it proves that we are getting close to the society in the book. Hopefully you've read that book so this comment makes sense to you.

Nicole Smith said...

I have read Fahrenheit 451, and you are so right - that comment proves we are getting close to the society described there, and that is scary!

And I totally agree with you about reading non-fiction. It has become more and more precious to me as a way to continue learning.

At work we were talking about how successful schools have to teach children to fall in love with reading because that is the way the become life-long learners. I couldn't agree more and am grateful for all the people who instilled a love of reading in me!