Sunday, June 3, 2012

Leaving Lighter

Yesterday was my first day back working my shift at the Temple after my vacation. The Temple is a beautiful place, and I had missed the peace I feel there and the opportunity to work and serve with wonderful, dedicated individuals.

Since I had been gone for several weeks, I had brought my clothing home to clean and not take up space in the locker room. Naturally, I had to bring them back to use them again. So, I went into the temple with a small purse and a larger bag with my clothing.

Being back was like coming home in all the best ways possible. Seeing familiar faces and knowing that I was needed and appreciated was rewarding. Assisting those who came to the Temple to worship and serve reminded me of the purpose behind giving up so much of my time on Saturday's. I couldn't stop smiling and I often reflected on how grateful I am to have this assignment at this time.

Then it was time to leave for the evening. As I got on the elevator I realized I was traveling much lighter. I only had my small purse since my bag with my clothing was in the locker room waiting for next week. I thought about how grateful I was to be traveling lighter,  and how nice it was to leave that baggage behind.

It struck me that that is one of the purposes of coming to the Temple - to leave our worries and cares behind, to become lighter. We enter the doors full of concerns or fears or disappointments or heartaches or questions. We then worship God and are reminded of the purpose of this life. We have time to be taught and time to reflect. We end our time in the Temple in silent prayer, pondering and reflection. Then we can leave emotionally lighter. What a beautiful thing!

I am reminded of a passage of scripture in the New Testament:

28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

 

No comments: