Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dark Side

Songs have been especially powerful for me of late. There is one that has been on my mind the past few days:

There's a place that i know  
it's not pretty there and few have ever gone 
if i show it to you now  
will it make you run away
 

or will you stay 
even if it hurts  
even if i try to push you out  
will you return?  
and remind me who i really am  
please remind me who i really am
 

everybody's got a dark side  
do you love me?  
can you love mine? 
nobody's a picture perfect  
but we're worth it  
you know that we're worth it  
will you love me?  
even with my dark side?

I wonder that. A lot. And Satan does a pretty good job of convincing me that the answer is no.

But then I think about how I feel when I learn things about people that they might label as their dark side. Often I feel compassion. I feel increased love and understanding. I feel a renewed sense that we are all imperfect children of God learning and growing together.

And yes, we are definitely worth it.

No comments: