Sunday, March 31, 2013

He is Risen!

Today is Easter. And I got asked to teach a lesson about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Spending the week before Easter studying that glorious event was a wonderful experience for me. I think one of the main reasons why is because I chose to focus on the power and peace of the Atonement that comes into our lives today as we come unto Christ and learn of him instead of the suffering and pain he experienced in his final days and hours.

I am grateful for what he suffered. I believe it was real, and truly more than anyone besides the literal son of God could endure. But, I think the true meaning of Easter is one of celebration that we don't have to experience pain alone or for long if we are willing to cast our burdens on Christ (see Psalms 55:22) and take his yoke upon us (see Matthew 11:29).

There was a talk given today where my thoughts were reflected to me in this line:
"How soon would that deep grieving be replaced with the purest wonder, joy, and love."

I think God wants us to focus on the good in our life. He wants us to feel wonder, joy, and love. He wants us to be happy. Of course we are going to go through hard things. Of course there are days when all we can do is cry. But, I know that we can find peace and joy through those things.

The experience of Alma the younger in the Book of Mormon comes to mind:
17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more, yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy. (Alma 36:17-21)

 Think of that "I could remember my pains no more" and "my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain". That is beautiful. And clearly it didn't mean he can't think about the fact that he did feel pain - years later he is telling this story to his sons. But, his pain was swallowed up in his joy. He could no longer feel that pain, only peace.

That is my testimony this day. It is possible. Christ is able to swallow up all of our pain. All of it. Not just the pain we feel from doing something wrong, but any pain. Pain that comes because we don't feel good enough. Pain that comes because we feel someone else has done us wrong. Pain that comes from feeling angry with ourselves or others. Pain that comes from feeling like we can't trust those around us. He can take that pain away. He will give us his peace instead.

I am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the opportunity it gives me to feel peace in my life. I pray that I can be more willing and able to use it in my life.

No comments: