Saturday, April 6, 2013

Nobody?

The train isn't working at the station I normally use so everyone has to get off and get on a shuttle bus. Not fun.

Coming home tonight I decided I wasn't going to let it get to me and I'd just enjoy my book.

Well, as I headed out of the station for the shuttle I noticed that someone was talking to me. He said, for at least the second time, "No one is that important."

I smiled at him and wondered if I had accidentally cut him off going up the stairs or something. He says again, first looking at me and then moving on to no one in particular, "No really, no one is that important. I can't wait to leave this city. I've lived here for 30 years. Everyone is distracted."

My heart went out to him. I'm sad that he's had some (or maybe a lot of) bad experiences and is feeling so frustrated.

But it also made me think - actually, everyone is that important. We all have great value and deserve to be respected and treated well. We shouldn't feel less than those around us, nor should we treat others as if some people are more important human beings than others.

That's a good reminder for me in my fast paced life where I can get wrapped up in me - what I want and need - and forget that I'm not the only one with feelings and desires and expectations.

No comments: