Monday, February 3, 2020

Speaks To My Soul Series: Doin’ Fine by Lauren Alaina


Some songs are about timing. 

I first remember hearing this song when I was living with a family whose daughter had a brain tumor. 

With that as my personal background, I was at church and one of the men in my ward shared some of his feelings – that he was not really okay, but that he kept telling people he was fine.

Why? Because it was the socially acceptable thing to say.

Given my circumstances, I had been doing the exact same thing. “How are you?” Quick smile, hide any pain, “Fine.” And move on.

So, I emailed him. I told him, “You are not alone in not wanting to tell others when you are having a hard time or a crummy day”

Then I heard this song. It might not have been the first time I heard it, but it was the first time that the lyrics jumped out and spoke to my soul. These ones specifically:


Thanks for asking how I've been
I've gotten too good at hiding it within
…..
I'm doing fine enough to know that everyone's a little broken
Fine enough to learn that hearts are best when they're wide open
I still got fear inside of me
I'm not okay but I'm gonna be alright
……..
I blamed God, I blamed myself
Then I fell on my knees and prayed like hell
It's funny how a touch of grace gives you healing
Yeah, I'm healing

I'm doing fine enough to know that everyone's a little broken
Fine enough to learn that hearts are best when they're wide open
I still got fear inside of me
I'm not okay, but I'm gonna be alright
For the first time in a long time I'm doing fine
…….
Oh, these growing pains, well I wish they'd go away
But I guess you can't be free without a fight

-        Doin’ Fine by Lauren Alaina

My goal is to be more real with people. I want to be more willing to say how I feel rather than feel trapped by what “others” [side note, who are they anyway?] think I should say, or not say.

And I also want to reaffirm to myself, and anyone who needs it, we don’t have to be okay to be alright. And what we are going through now is going to make us into the person we are becoming.

Knowing “everyone’s a little broken” can give us the courage to open up. To remember that “hearts are best when they’re wide open” and take a chance, open your heart. 

You just might find healing for you and, if you’re really lucky, help bring healing to someone else.


No comments: