Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Speaks to My Soul Series: The Man I Want to Be by Jake Scott

A question I ask myself a lot:

If I become the choices that I make 
Am I on the road that I should take

This is a conversation I’ve had with God over and over again. Once, when I was anticipating a big move, I prayed, “Just send me where I can do the most good.”

That seems like a good, selfless thing to ask for, right?

The answer I got?

“I can use you anywhere.”

Okay.

Is that still the answer later in my life?

Sure. There are children of God all around me, everywhere I go. There were more when I lived in New York City and less in Ketchikan, Alaska. But in both places, I had the chance to make friends, to serve in small and large ways.

Even if I get comfortable with the road that I'm on, there is another question:

When I write the last words of this story
Will I be the man I want to be

[Or in my case, the woman I want to be.] Will I? Or will I be a random collection of good intentions? Or a string of almosts?

Amongst the questions and reasons for hesitation, I know:

I don’t want to miss the first step
And never live cause I was too afraid

Fear of missing the first step and, as a result, never living might be what gets me out and doing things more then I care to admit. 

I want to really truly live. To go places, see things, do things, make friends and acquaintances that influence my life for good. And I can’t do that sitting still or staying in one place.

And I hope each choice I make leads to a more positive answer to this closing question of the song: 

Would the boy when I was young love the man that I’d become
Or would he even recognize my face

The Man I Want to Be by Jake Scott



No comments: