Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Start Where You Are, You'll Only Get Better


"That's called imposter syndrome. It's real."

Those words from my blind date were validating and also made me very self-conscious.

Shifting from talking about my knitting skills, I continued sharing my thoughts around my ability to successfully open and run a crafting retreat bed & breakfast. "Well, I have won a few cookie baking contests, but as far as cooking, I'm just okay, not great."

"I imagine wherever you start, you'd get better," he encouraged.

Fact.

That conversation has stuck with me over the past few months. And it has come to mind several times over the past couple of weeks.

As so many people across the United States, and around the world, are being told to stay home, some of those people have turned to hobbies, new and old. Myself included.

I pulled out my flute and have been writing more again.

As I've done so, my self-conscious tendency reared it's large head as I've had to play with people in the house (since all my roommates are also stuck at home).

But, I remembered those words from my blind date. And I'm trying to act accordingly.

Wherever I am now, I will get better if I put in time and effort - especially consistently.

And, I'm probably better than I realize. My roommates seem to enjoy the music, and I'm grateful for that.

My commitment: Play my flute every day.


No comments: