Saturday, November 15, 2008

No More Than We Can Handle

Life is an interesting thing. I often find myself feeling overwhelmed and wondering how in the world I'll be able to do everything required of me. I also find myself from time to time trying to explain to someone why I hold myself to the standards I do. In both cases I find solace in the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ and my testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is something no one can take from me. It is also something I can't give to anyone else. I can offer them a chance to learn and grow and come to know truth, but I can't make anyone understand.

I want to share a few scriptures that help me and bring me comfort as I face things that are hard or that I don't understand:

In the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ a man named Nephi is asked by his father who is a prophet called of God to carry out a task. When Nephi's brothers question whether or not to follow through with the direction that came from God through the prophet, Nephi responded in faith saying: "I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."1 Nephi 3:7 Nephi's faith was not in vain, he was able to accomplish the task he was given.

In the New Testament (King James version of the Bible), Paul, one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ, shares his testimony with the Philippians. He is in prison and writes to strengthen and cheer the people. Despite theawful circumstances in which he found himself, Paul shares that one of the things he has learned is to be content with whatsoever state he finds himself in. Then he assures the Philippians, and perhaps himself as well, "I can do all things through Christ whichstrengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

In the Doctrine and Covenants, a collection of revelations from God mainly to Joseph Smith, the Lord Jesus Christ gives the following council: "Stop and stand still until I command thee, and I will provide means whereby thoumayest accomplish the thing which I have commanded thee. And if thou art faithful in keeping my commandments, thou shalt be lifted up at the last day"
Doctrine and Covenants 5:34-35

I have found these things to be true in my own life. I too know that there is nothing I have been asked to do by God that I have not been enabled to accomplish. Despite this, at times the things that I am asked to do at the moment seem too hard. In those moments I try to remember like Paul that through Christ's help I can do anything, and likeNephi that if the Lord commands, he will provide a way. It also helps me to remember that blessings and help are conditional upon my faith and efforts to move forward with the command I have been given.

No comments: