Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Strengths and Weaknesses

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a good friend and I commented that I wasn't sure if it was a blessing or a curse that I tend to be a deep thinker. He said often our greatest strengths are also challenges. I laughed, because I have found this to be very true in my life. (I think it relates to the need for balance in our lives. I'll have to write more about the idea of balance another time - it is a concept I really love!)

This morning I was thinking about that idea again. It hit me that the reverse is also true. Our biggest weaknesses can also at times be strengths, or be turned into strengths. That reminded me of a scripture in the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ that reads: "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

What a wonderful thing. To me, this is all about progress, about becoming a better person. Does that mean it is easy, no. Life has a way of teaching me over and over again that most things that are worth doing, and that are truly rewarding, are not easy. Those worth pursuits often require effort and struggle. And, are totally worth it once accomplished, even if that is hard to remember during the battle.

No comments: