Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Going Old School

When I think of songs from my early teenage years, All Star by Smashmouth is always high on that list (along with The Middle by Jimmy Eat World).

There is a particular set of lines that have always stood out to me - and that seem particularly poignant to me lately:

"Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change"

- All Star, Smashmouth

For some reason, this has been linked pretty directly to the Hymn "Because I have Been Given Much" - check out these lyrics:

Because I have been given much, I too must give.

Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.

I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,

who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…

I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-

my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,

that he too may be comforted.


I often wonder if I really feel that way - or do I fall into the trap of "coveting what I do not have" or just not sharing what I do have?

21And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.

22And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.

23I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.

24And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would.

25And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.

- Mosiah 4:21-25

This all makes me think. It makes me examine how I feel in my heart when someone asks for spare change. It makes me contemplate what it is that I have that I can give. And I've seen some great examples in my life - friends who have handed over change, who have taken time to talk and express love in various ways, friends who have purchased meals, stories of people carrying around gift certificates for food to hand out. There are certainly things I can do to show the love I have towards my fellow men - ways to provide fuel and change - I just have to do them.

No comments: