Saturday, June 4, 2011

Simply Couldn't be Happier

*Disclaimer: I have never seen the musical Wicked or read the book, but I LOVE the sound track

Just wanted you to know up front that my thoughts on a line from the Wicked sound track are not rooted in the story line of Wicked - rather it is my typical relating of a line from here or there to my life and the way I view the world.

The following are some excerpts from the song “I Couldn't be Happier” sung by Glinda (the good witch).

“But I couldn't be happier,
simply couldn't be happier
Well-- not "simply"”

“So I couldn't be happier.
Because happy is what happens
when all your dreams come true.
Well, isn't it?”

These lines seem to raise two very interesting questions about happiness.

(1) Is/should happiness be simple?

(2) How do we define what happiness is, or how do we know when we have achieved “happiness”?

Thinking about Glinda’s acknowledgment “Well—not simply” makes me think about how many times I have wanted to take the easy way out. How many times I have simply accepted the status quo rather than put forth the necessary effort to make a change.

It also makes me think about what my Church teaches about happiness, and how to find lasting happiness.

"Many people try to find happiness and fulfillment in activities that are contrary to the Lord’s commandments. Ignoring God’s plan for them, they reject the only source of real happiness. . . . Others seek only to have fun in life. With this as their main goal, they allow temporary pleasure to distract them from lasting happiness. They rob themselves of the enduring joys of spiritual growth, service, and hard work."

Happiness,” True to the Faith, (2004),79–80

I don’t believe that happiness is something that just happens to us. Maybe happiness is what happens when our dreams come true – but they won’t come true without some serious attention and hard work on our part. As Tiana’s father taught her in Disney’s The Frog Princess:

“Yes, you wish and you dream with all your little heart. But you remember dear Anawet, that old star can only take you part of a way. You got to help him with some hard work of your own. And then... Yeah you can do anything you said you mind to.”

So, it may not be “simply” but we can be happy – the best part is that we decide.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Never seen "Wicked" either, and don't want to. But (I have to admit)there are a few good messages.

Happiness is simple and complicated at the same time. Lately I've been thinking about how perfect my life is: I have a marvelous husband who loves and takes care of me, we have a beautiful home and now a healthy and happy baby boy. I LOVE my life! I don't have to work or even do homework anymore. I get to stay home with my darling baby and projects galore--fixing and furnishing a house, crocheting baby booties, blogging, reading, gardening,.... For over a year my dearest dreams have been coming true one after another. So, the question is, with all my dreams coming true, am I happy?

The answer is YES! I am happy. But am I happy all the time? No. I am tired (there are few things I dislike more than feeling tired), and I get discouraged sometimes because I can't get everything done that I want to get done. Why should I feel so dissatisfied--even for a moment--when my life is so perfect? There are people without enough food to eat, in abusive situations, with serious health issues and financial strain. Do I need to count my blessings more often? I think so.

I was reading in the Book of Mormon yesterday about a family being led by the Lord to the promised land. They were guided "in the more fertile parts of the wilderness" and because they could not have fire the Lord made their raw meat sweet. And, for crying out loud, they were being led to THE PROMISED LAND! Yet some of them wished to be back in Jerusalem, enjoying their rich possessions and old associations and comforts. On their journey, in spite of all the Lord's miracles, they saw only the difficulties and wished to be back home where they "might have been happy." So, what does it take to be happy?

I don't have a succinct answer to that question, but I know that a lot of it has to do with attitude. When we do notice the tender mercies of the Lord, count our blessings, enjoy the simple things of life--especially the love that exists in family relationships--we are happy. When we work hard to obtain the promised blessings that await us, we are happy. When we help others find true happiness, when we relieve suffering, or when we commiserate with persons who are struggling (even those who appear not to be), we are happy. When we do good and express gratitude to the Lord for all that is good in life, we are happy. And when we turn to the Lord in our affliction He assures us of His love and we are happy.

Happiness, it seems, stems from loving the Lord, obeying His commandments (especially those that require hard work and/or sacrifice), and recognizing His hand in my life.

You're right, Nicole: happiness is a choice. You are happy because you choose to do what is right. Sean and I admire you so much. And the Lord will continue to bless you with the things you need to find even greater happiness.