Sunday, September 25, 2011

Balance: Faith vs. Works

The concept of balance is something that fascinates me. So often I find myself coming to the conclusion that almost everything comes back to balance. My roommate gave me a copy of a talk that Bruce R. McConkie gave at Brigham Young University (Agency or Inspiration--Which? on 27 Feb 1973) and the idea of balance struck me again.
And so we're faced with two propositions. One is that we ought to be guided by the spirit of inspiration, the spirit of revelation. The other that we're here under a direction to use our agency, to determine what we ought to do on our own; and we need to strike a fine balance between these two, if we're going to pursue a course that will give us joy and satisfaction and peace in this life and lead to eternal reward in our Father's kingdom.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I believe we lived in Heaven with God before we came to this earth. He presented a plan to us where we could come to earth, receive a mortal body, be given the gift of agency, and - contingent on our choices in this life - be able to return and live with Him again after this life. I believe that God answers our prayers, and that He will lead and guide us as we seek His direction in our lives. I also have been taught that if we have to be commanded (or receive direction) in all things we are slothful servants - instead we should be engaged in many good things of our own free will (see Doc & Cov 58:26-27).

There is a phrase I have heard many times, and I think expresses some of the balance we need to seek:
Pray like everything depends on God; Then go work like everything depends on you.

(I tried to find out who said this, and I found it attributed to John Wesley, Martin Luther, and St. Augustine - and several people who suggest we should also work like it depends on God)

I think it takes faith both to ask God for help and to get off our knees and start working toward the items we ask God for help with.

We can't just ask. We can't just work hard and do it on our own. To be more clear - we are most likely to find true success and joy in our lives if we turn to God in faith AND strive to do all in our power to accomplish our goals. In the words of Bruce R. McConkie:
. . . implicit in asking in faith is the precedent requirement that we do everything in our power to accomplish the goal we seek. We use the agency with which we have been endowed. We use every faculty and capacity and ability that we possess to bring about the eventuality that may be involved.

It has been my experience that true faith in Christ leads me to action (works) and that as I do all in my power trusting that God will help me (and sometimes that means He helps me see why I can't have, or actually don't want, what I thought I did) I see His hand in my life - and as I recognize His hand in my life, my faith is strengthened.

Most of the time I don't feel like I have balance in my life - but, I am so very grateful for the chance I have to seek balance and for the direction and guidance that the principles and teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ provide as I push forward in my quest.

No comments: