Monday, September 5, 2011

Learning about myself

I love to do jigsaw puzzles. I've pretty much always loved them, and I'm pretty good at them. In fact, when we got to decide on a class group activity in first-grade I decided to bring puzzles. One of the reasons I like puzzles is because they are a challenge, can involve many people, but are not inherently competitive in nature. There are no individual winners - every one can work together towards a desired end.

The quote of the day on my to-do list the other day made me realize another reason I like puzzles:

"A good puzzle, it's a fair thing. Nobody is lying. It's very clear, and the problem depends just on you." - Erno Rubik

That last phrase: "the problem depends just on you."

I don't think I have realized how deeply I desire to take care of things on my own. I think being self-sufficient is a good goal. I also think it can be carried to an unhealthy extreme. Time to do some pondering about where on that spectrum I am right now :)

No comments: