Monday, December 12, 2011

Post Thanksgiving Gratitude

I've been meaning to write an "I'm grateful for" post since before Thanksgiving. This morning I was reading in the Ensign and was inspired by the challenge to list 100 things I'm grateful for:

Physical Abilities:
1. Being able to walk and run and play
2. Being able to see
3. Being able to smile
4. Hearing beautiful sounds
5. Breathing in and out
6. The ability to touch - textures
7. Being able to stand up without using my hands
8. The capacity to think
9. The ability to taste
10. The ability to smell

Material Possessions
1. All my books
2. My scriptures
3. Food
4. My computer
5. My bed
6. A large variety of clothing
7. Mementos from my childhood
8. Journals starting from when I was 8
9. Photos
10. Cell phone

Living People (only 10 is not fair!)
1. My mom
2. My dad
3. Anthony
4. Craig
5. Jacob
6. Fanja
7. Janna
8. Oscar
9. David
10. Ben

Deceased People
1. Amelia
2. Joseph Smith
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. Gordon B. Hinckley
5. Moroni
6. The unknown soldier
7. Wilber Wilberforce
8. George Washington
9. Rosa Parks
10. Eve

Things about Nature
1. Waterfalls
2. Rivers
3. Mountains
4. Wild flowers
5. Brooks
6. Stary nights
7. The Grand Canyon
8. Camping
9. Fields of Sunflowers
10. The sun

Things about Today
1. Having a job
2. FHE
3. A chance to clean up my room a bit
4. Generosity of people around me
5. Hanging Christmas lights in my room
6. Writing cards to people I love
7. Reading from the Ensign on the train
8. Realizing that my life is rich and full
9. Holding hands
10. The wonder of modern technology

Places on Earth
1. Utah
2. My home
3. Hawaii
4. London
5. Boston
6. The Temple
7. NYC
8. Buena Vista
9. Los Gatos
10. Virginia

Modern Inventions
1. Phones
2. Pens
3. Computers
4. The Internet
5. Airplanes
6. Printers
7. Cameras
8. Ovens
9. Microwaves
10. Electric lights

Foods
1. Bread
2. Muffins
3. Spinach
4. Broccoli
5. Crackers
6. Cheese
7. Sour Cream
8. Hummus
9. Black beans
10. Chicken

Things about the Gospel
1. The perspective
2. The power to change lives
3. The inspiration to become something more than I am
4. The knowledge that I am a daughter of God
5. The chance to speak to God through prayer
6. Access to the Atonement of Jesus Christ
7. Modern day revelation
8. Access to the Temple
9. The example of Jesus Christ through the scriptures
10. Peace


As they said at the end of the article - writing this list has reminded me that these 100 things "doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of all the things God has given us." I love taking time to think about what I am grateful for - to count my blessings. It never fails to warm my heart and turn it a little more to God and make me want to share what I have with others and help them feel that same love and depth of gratitude that grows as it is contemplated and shared.

No comments: