Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Speaks to My Soul Series: The Greatest by Kenny Rogers


Kenny Rogers’ The Greatest is a song I love for a lot of the same reasons I love most of the books I do – it makes me think and feel deeply. I will also admit that I cry nearly every time I listen to it.

There are two themes I love from this song:

1. Perspective.
A thought, a reality, a concept – something I’ve circled back to over and over again.

2. Focus.
Related – influences our perspective, what we see and what is cropped out or blurred.

I admire the little boy in this song and his journey.

He does things he loves. He continues when it looks hard or impossible. He appears to be playing alone but is not bothered by this.

His focus is strong. His perspective is positive.

He makes no excuses, He shows no fears

His surety of his intrinsic value carries him through and allows him to rest on the truth of his greatness. To turn what could be seen as defeat into success.

He says I am the greatest that is understood
But even I didn't know I could pitch that good.

At the end of this song, I’m always left contemplating about the balance between internal vs external validation.

Which one matters more to me? How do I learn to lean on and be buoyed by the positive while deflecting or growing from negative?

As I write this, I also realize that this song provides a caution about how we view others. Do I see others’ failures and use that to define them? or do I look for successes and a way to move forward in a positive, uplifting way?

You may not enjoy this (country) song, but I hope you enjoy my random thoughts.

And I hope you look for and find greatness – in yourself and those around you!


P.S. If you want to check it out, here’s a fun video with the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukemCQQUCME



No comments: