Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Best Misperception Ever

Yesterday I was riding the bus and about halfway to my destination three high school girls got on. I was reading a book and only vaguely aware of them, but they were talking loudly so I did overhear bits and pieces of their discussions of such things as their likes or dislikes of Dove body wash (One girl said it didn't work for her, another girl said she has been at a camp where there were no showers and three days later she still smelled like Dove).

"Why were you at a camp that didn't have showers for three days?"

The next thing I remember hearing was "she's a Mormon" which caught my attention.

The anti-Dove body wash girl looked mortified. And said, "Don't they deal with dead people right after they die?"

"No, like we're Christian, she's Mormon."

"But, who are those people - it starts with M too - that deal with dead people?"

They had no idea - "Mortician" I say from a few rows back.

"Ya, morticians. Aren't morticians and Mormons the same thing?"

Say something! I think in my head to the girl who has been identified as a Mormon - your friends think you deal with dead people right after they die - you have to say something.

No answer.

"What do you have to do to be a Mormon?"

Still no answer.

The bus stopped, and they ran away to catch another bus so I never heard the end or if the girl clarified to her what it means to be a Mormon or not.

As for me, that has to be the best misperception I have heard to date as to who Mormons are.

1 comment:

The Fintch said...

HAHA!!! That's awesome! I wonder what she said to fix that up...