Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Thought on FREEDOM

"Tyranny, like Hell, is not easily conquered, yet we have this consolation with us that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly . . . it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly esteemed."

Thomas Paine, American Crisis No. 1

I love American history. I greatly admire the men and women who sacrificed, and worked, and dreamed to create the Declaration of Independence, to combine thirteen independent colonies, to grapple with important issues and compromise to reach a consensus toward the greater common good.

So often when I read their words and hear their stories my heart thrills and I am nearly overcome with gratitude – and a sense that I have a great debt to fill. Or maybe a great cause to continue carrying forward. Or that I have inherited the right and ability to make the world a better place, the need to not take things for granted, to avoid esteeming too lightly so many wonderful things that have been simply handed to me.

I know I am a greatly blessed person. I know that at times I do not act in accordance with what I know. Elder David A. Bednar taught “what we know is not always reflected in what we do” I am grateful for reminders that it is easy to forget the importance of things in our lives – to forget to do what we know is right and will bring joy to others and advance the common good. I know and can do more to highly esteem the FREEDOM that I have been given at such a dear price to so many people – past, present and future.

Thank you Thomas Paine. Thank you Elder David A. Bednar.

No comments: