Monday, December 16, 2019

Twelve Songs of Christmas, Day 4: Three Ships


My dad loves this song. 

That’s one of the reasons it is meaningful to me, hearing it makes me think of him.

I also really like the reminder that others have different perspectives, traditions or connections to Christmas. I’ve never sailed on a ship towards Bethlehem, but some people have. And what a cool experience to be in Bethlehem for Christmas – either the night the Savior of the world was born, or now.

But physical location does not dictate whether or not we can celebrate the birth of the Savior Jesus Christ.

This idea was driven home by a character in a Christmas novel I read this season (Christmas Visitor by Anne Perry).

One character has been in the Holy Land but is home for Christmas. After Christmas he is going back to find the Garden Tomb:


“Can you imagine? We will stand where she stood when He said ‘Mary,’ and she knew Him!”

“Perhaps that is where we are all trying to stand,” Naomi said very quietly. “Only I’m not sure it is a place, I think it is a matter of spirit, it is who you have become.”


We cannot all go to the physical places Jesus walked while on this earth, but we can all try to stand where He stood by becoming like Him.

And we can all rejoice, as Three Ships reminds us:

Then let us all rejoice and sing
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
And all the bells on earth shall ring
On Christmas day in the morning

My goal: Rejoice! And allow bells to be a reminder of the birth and life and example of Jesus Christ.

Full Lyrics:

I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day in the morning

And what was on those ships all three
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
A little boy and our lady
On Christmas day in the morning

Oh they sailed to Bethlehem
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
Oh they sailed to Bethlehem
On Christmas day in the morning

Then let us all rejoice and sing
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
And all the bells on earth shall ring
On Christmas day in the morning

I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day, on Christmas day
I saw three ships come sailing in
On Christmas day in the morning

No comments: