Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Twelve Songs of Christmas, Day 6: Where are you Christmas?


Over a decade ago (probably when the movie came out…) I bought the sheet music for this song. Each year around November I think, “This is the year! I’m going to learn to play it!”

This year I have the music with me AND a (really old, really out of tune, not all the keys work) piano in my house. So, I’ve been working on it.

I can tell I’ve spent time on the first few lines before because I can kind of play them. But I still rarely make it past the first couple of pages.

It makes me think of an analogy I heard in October:

Discipleship is like learning to play the piano. Perhaps all you can do at first is play a barely recognizable rendition of “Chopsticks.” But if you continue practicing, the simple tunes will one day give way to wondrous sonatas, rhapsodies, and concertos.

- Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Your Great Adventure

These days I feel pretty confident that my version of chopsticks would be recognized, but I certainly haven’t progressed “to wondrous sonatas, rhapsodies, and concertos.”

Thankfully, there was a follow up to that statement:

Now, that day may not come during this life, but it will come. All God asks is that you consciously keep striving.

So, all I have to keep striving and hoping.

In the meantime, I can still appreciate and enjoy the beautiful message in the lyrics of the song I have yet to be able to play:

My world is changing
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too
Christmas is here
Everywhere, oh
Christmas is here
If you care, oh


If there is love in your heart and your mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time

Oh, I feel you Christmas
I know I've found you
You never fade away, oh
The joy of Christmas
Stays here inside us
Fills each and every heart with love

Goal: Fill my heart with love, at Christmas and all the time.

-----

Oh, hmm
Where are you Christmas
Why can't I find you
Why have you gone away
Where is the laughter
You used to bring me
Why can't I hear music play

My world is changing
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too

Where are you Christmas
Do you remember
The one you used to know
I'm not the same one
See what the time's done
Is that why you have let me go

Christmas is here
Everywhere, oh
Christmas is here
If you care, oh

If there is love in your heart and your mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time

Oh, I feel you Christmas
I know I've found you
You never fade away, oh
The joy of Christmas
Stays here inside us
Fills each and every heart with love

Where are you Christmas
Fill your heart with love

No comments: